REAL-ID takes effect one year from today

Starting one year from today, air travelers will have to present a REAL ID-compliant driver's license or alternative piece of identification to board commercial airliners in the United States. 

Here's a bit of background on this requirement and how it came to be. 


The REAL ID Act of 2005 required that states offer driver's licenses that confirm both the identity and
the citizenship of the holder. The deadline for this requirement has been extended so many times I've lost count, but it is May 7, 2025.

That means you have only one year to obtain a REAL ID-compliant driver's license if you don't have one, or another form of ID that will confirm you are a U.S. citizen or legal resident.

The need for a state to certify that its driver's licenses are only issued to citizens and legal immigrants is contained in Public Law 109-13, also called the REAL ID Act, which was passed in May of 2005. It mandates that states and territories must require proof of U.S. citizenship or proof that a person has been “lawfully admitted for permanent or temporary residence in the United States” before issuing a driver’s license or state ID card for those documents to be considered acceptable for “official federal purposes.”

One of those official federal purposes is “boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft.”

Available alternatives 

All states, the District of Columbia, and the five U.S. territories issue REAL ID-compliant licenses, though several states issue both standard and "enhanced" driver's licenses, or EDLs.  In those states, the standard licenses are not REAL ID-compliant. When issuing REAL ID documents, states confirm both the identity and citizenship of the holder. These are acceptable alternatives to a passport for re-entry into the U.S. via land or sea, and are considered acceptable ID under the REAL ID Act for domestic air travel. International air travel will still require a U.S. passport.

In addition to more stringent documentation requirements, EDLs cost a bit more than standard driver’s licenses, but there are alternatives. 

As of this writing, a U.S. passport costs $130 for adults renewing by mail and is good for 10 years. First-time applicants will also be assessed a $35 processing fee. In my home station of Washington, enhanced driver's licenses cost $116 for the first issuance and are good for five years. Upgrading your current license to an EDL is $7 per year of remaining validity. That is according to the Washington Department of Licensing website.

On an annual basis, the cost difference is minimal when comparing a passport and an EDL. A passport costs $13 per year while an EDL costs $7 additional per year over a standard driver's license. Because EDLs only allow international travel to Canada or Mexico by land or sea, anyone who plans to travel internationally would do well to consider obtaining or renewing their U.S. passport.  The additional flexibility it provides is well worth an additional $6 per year.

Other forms of acceptable ID are a U.S. passport card; a passport issued by a foreign government; DHS trusted traveler cards including Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST; U.S. military ID for active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians; permanent resident card; border crossing card; airline or airport-issued ID if issued under a TSA-approved security plan; federally recognized tribal-issued photo ID; Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card; transportation worker identification credential or Immigration and Naturalization Service Employment Authorization Card (I-766), among others, according to the TSA website.

Pre-check security line at Sea-Tac Airport in Seattle
Security line at Sea-Tac Airport in Seattle

A final note

While it has not heretofore been required in the United States, requiring proof of citizenship for air travel is not without precedent elsewhere. During our trip to Canada in 2015, all passengers boarding flights from Toronto to Montréal, and from Montréal to Vancouver had to show passports or other proof of citizenship, even though the flights were domestic flights entirely within the borders of Canada.

For additional background, please see my previous post on the topic.

Visit my main page at for more news, reviews, and personal observations on the world of upmarket travel.

Photo by Carl Dombek
Click on photo to view larger image