Weathered out of Russia

The short amount of time left before my proposed trip to Russia has been shortened even more by inclement weather in Seattle, thus dimming prospects for success.

As I indicated in my previous post, I had obtained some conflicting/confusing information about requirements for obtaining a Russian visa and had planned to visit the Russian Consulate in Seattle on Tuesday to get the definitive word.

A quick phone call on Monday night revealed some interesting information: the Consulate sets certain hours for certain functions, and the hours for dealing with visa matters are from 2:00 to 4:45 p.m. It started snowing in Seattle about 1:30 on Tuesday, just about the time I'd planned to leave for downtown. Not wanting to get stuck downtown if it continued to snow, I decided to wait until Wednesday.

Wednesday, as it turned out, was worse.

Snow started to fall about 12:30 and continued to come down vigorously for well over an hour, leaving accumulations of slush on the streets and making driving tricky at best. Another day's delay.

Meanwhile, a proposed traveling companion decided to "pay the freight to go through a (Russian authorized) travel agent and just let the experts do it for" her. Probably a wise move.

More to follow.

  Visit my main page at for more news, reviews, and personal observations on the world of upmarket travel.